In 2003, Ronel Jordaan®, having been a textile designer for 26 years, began researching the possibilities of using felt as a creative medium. Entirely self taught and following her own creative instincts, she began to turn fine gossamer thread into robust felted forms.
By patiently rubbing and coaxing threads of pure wool into shapes in nature that inspire her, she found her direction and started a small home industry. She trained a handful of women to help her. Recognized for their originality and design uniqueness, her creations found an immediate market. Consistent with being inspired by nature, the Ronel Jordaan® label is equally harmonious with nature; processes implemented in the workshop are all ecofriendly.
SOAP – Essential to the felting process, is a South African product and fully bio-degradable.
DYES – Although the dyes are imported from Germany, they have been specifically chosen because they are lead free and meet European Eco-Standard.
ANIMAL RIGHTS AWARENESS – Unlike Australia, South African farmers do not practice mule-sing – docking sheep tails to prevent flystrike.
NO CARBONIZATION – Wool traditionally undergoes a process called carbonization – a bath of hydrochloric acid and other chemicals to clean the wool. As well as a residue of chemicals left in the wool, fine protective hair follicles are also stripped away.
100% SOUTH AFRICAN – Finally, all the wool used in Ronel Jordaan ® products are totally, proudly South African.
All our pieces are hand made from 100% Merino wool, as wool is an organic fabric it is important to take special care for the longevity of your product. Please take note of the care & cleaning instructions to best assist with a lifetime of happiness from your wool product.
- Do not put your product on an abrasive surface.
- Turn over your product on a regular basis to avoid, moisture build up underneath, dust mites & insects.
- Dust and clean your product regularly as you would with a couch cushion.
- It is very important to vacuum your product on a regular basis.
- Spray product with a lavender mist or insecticide every 3 months.
- Felt lavender mist is available for purchase from us, please enquire.
Dry Clean or
1. Wash with a soapy sponge & luke warm water 2. Rinse well with a vinagar & luke warm water solution 3. Dry out in the sun 4. Spray with lavender mist 5. Please do not use hot water as wool will shrink.
If your product is able to fit in your washing machine, select the ‘wool’ cycle and wash as normal.